Leigh E. Johnson is a practicing trial lawyer, and principal of “Trial Whisperer” Trial Consulting. Leigh is dedicated to assisting lawyers preparing for trial in both civil and criminal arenas. Her expertise is in developing an effective storyline that serves as the vortex for opposing counsel. She accurately identifies issues and reconstructs them to achieve positive outcomes within a variety of legal forums from arbitration to trial.
Leigh’s philosophy is that in order to obtain the best results regardless of forum, you should always prepare your case as if it were going to trial. Leigh’s passion and primary focus is in collaborating with other lawyers, where she is often asked to conduct focus groups, participate in jury selection, develop storylines, and craft case presentations for cases where there are difficult facts and complicated scenarios.
As a 2009 graduate of Gerry Spence’s Trial Lawyers College (TLC), Leigh was highly regarded by her peers for her depth of knowledge, attention to detail, compassion and integrity. She is currently on staff at TLC and teaches trial skills several times a year. In prior years she lectured on storyline development and focus group methods at Gerry Spence’s Death Penalty College. She has also presented at the Capital Defense College in Texas.
Leigh is the Leader and facilitator of the Bay Area Trial Skills Group. The organization’s mission is to teach trial skills and to provide local attorneys with comprehensive assistance in preparing for trial while focusing on storyline development. Leigh is an active member of several legal organizations and routinely attends seminars and gives presentations to Trial Lawyer Associations and groups in California and throughout the U.S.
- Attorney: The State Bar of California: 2003
- Registered Patent Agent/Attorney USPTO: 2002
- 15 years experience training attorneys in basic to advanced skills for court presentation, story discovery, and diversity in jury selection.
- Ongoing training of monthly Bay Area trial skills group since 2010.
- 14 years experience in psychodrama and case reenactments.
- 12 years experience in conducting focus groups and preparing reports.
- Certified Psychodramatist utilizing action methods to find and tell case stories.
- Training in Storytelling & Storyline Development.
- All Superior Courts in the State of California
- Northern District of the U.S. District Courts
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Supreme Court
Proven history of working under extreme pressure and in highly stressful conditions.
- 5 years in the United States Air Force as a Mobile Combat Specialist providing critical communications behind unfriendly lines.
- 12 years as Air Traffic Controller providing radar control for aircraft into and out of the three major Bay Area airports.
- 7 years as a Biological Scientist assisting in the production of high grade pharmaceuticals for people with congenital defects, such as Hemophilia and Alpha One deficiencies.
- 20 years as a trial lawyer fighting and winning justice for the people.
- Doctorate of Jurisprudence, John F. Kennedy University School of Law, Orinda, CA
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, California State University, Hayward, CA
- Associate Degree in Social Work, Merritt College, Oakland, CA
- Certificate in Substance Abuse Counseling, Merritt College, Oakland, CA
- Certificate in Storytelling, The Film School, Seattle Washington
- Certified Practitioner, Psychodrama, ABE
- Numerous classes in psychology and human behavior